When life imploded in loss, I began writing down Bible verses with God’s promises on the back flap of my Bible. Each promise was a reminder of God’s faithfulness and sovereignty even though my circumstances were shaking me. The promises revealed God’s character and gave me one more reason to trust God though my future felt bleak.
We need to know the promises of God to combat the enemy’s lies. We need to stand on God’s promises when our emotions are screaming life will never feel good again or when fear paralyzes us. The promises of God are the basis for our hope. Because if God has promised it, then we can count on it no matter the circumstances or how long the wait.
The Bible records more than 7,000 promises God made to mankind. While God made some of those promises to one person or one people group specifically, many of God’s promises apply to us today. Let’s take a look at 40 promises of God when you need hope.
God promises to hear your cries.
1.Psalm 10:17 You, Lord, hear the desire of the afflicted; you encourage them, and you listen to their cry.
2. 1 John 5:14-15 This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. And if we know that he hears us—whatever we ask—we know that we have what we asked of him.
God promises compassion.
3. Psalm 116:5-6 The Lord is gracious and righteous; our God is full of compassion. The Lord protects the unwary; when I was brought low, he saved me.
4. 1 Peter 5:7 Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.
God promises comforts.
5. John 14:16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you forever.
6. 2 Corinthians 1:3-4 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, 4who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God.
God promises faithfulness.
7. Psalm 9:10 Those who know your name trust in you, for you, Lord, have never forsaken those who seek you.
8. Isaiah 25:1 Lord, you are my God; I will exalt you and praise your name, for in perfect faithfulness you have done wonderful things, things planned long ago.
9. 1 Thessalonians 5:24 The one who calls you is faithful, and he will do it.
God promises to bring good out of suffering.
10. 2 Corinthians 4:17 For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison.
11. James 1:2-3 Consider it pure joy, my brothers, when you encounter trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.
12. Galatians 6:9 Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.
God promises goodness.
13. Psalm 27:13 I remain confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
14. Psalm 86:5 For You, O Lord, are kind and forgiving, rich in loving devotion to all who call on You.
15. Psalm 119:68 You are good and do good.
God promises to guide us.
16. Psalm 32:8 I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my loving eye on you.
17. Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.
18. Isaiah 48:17 This is what the LORD says– your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel: “I am the LORD your God, who teaches you what is best for you, who directs you in the way you should go.”
God promises hope.
19. 1 Peter 1:3-4 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade. This inheritance is kept in heaven for you.
20. Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
God promises to always love us.
21. 1 Corinthians 13:8 Love never fails.
22. Psalm 103:17 But the lovingkindness of the LORD is from everlasting to everlasting on those who fear Him, And His righteousness to children’s children.
God promises peace.
23. Isaiah 26:3 You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in you.
24. Philippians 4:7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
25. Psalm 4:8 In peace I will lie down and sleep, for you alone, Lord, make me dwell in safety.
God promises to provide for us.
26. Philippians 4:19 And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus.
27. 2 Corinthians 9:8 And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things, at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.
God promises to be our refuge.
28. Psalm 9:9 The Lord is a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble.
29. Deuteronomy 33:27 The eternal God is a dwelling place, and underneath are the everlasting arms.
God promises to restore joy.
30. Psalm 30:5 For his anger lasts only a moment, but his favor lasts a lifetime; weeping may stay for the night, but rejoicing comes in the morning.
31. Psalm 126:5-6 Those who sow with tears will reap with songs of joy. Those who go out weeping, carrying seed to sow, will return with songs of joy, carrying sheaves with them.
32. Psalm 94:19 When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought me joy.
God promises to be our shield.
33. Psalm 84:11 For the LORD God is a sun and shield; the LORD bestows favor and honor; no good thing does he withhold from those whose walk is blameless.
34. Genesis 15:1 Do not be afraid, Abram. I am your shield, your very great reward.
God promises to sustain us.
35. Psalm 94:18 When I said, “My foot is slipping,” your unfailing love, Lord, supported me.
36. Psalm 27:5 For in the day of trouble he will keep me safe in his dwelling; he will hide me in the shelter of his sacred tent and set me high upon a rock.
37. Psalm 3:5 I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the Lord sustains me.
38. Jeremiah 17:7-8 But blessed is the one who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in him. They will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream. It does not fear when heat comes; its leaves are always green. It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit.
God promises to be with us.
39. Psalm 34:18 The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.
40. James 4:8 Come near to God and he will come near to you.
41. Hebrews 13:5 … God has said, “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.”
And these are but the outer fringe of God’s works! When we see how many promises God has made and how often He repeats them through scripture, we can stop fretting and trust God for all of our needs.