God’s peace in hard times doesn’t mean ignoring the storm we’re in. It means anchoring our swirling emotions and thoughts to the One who secures us in the storm.
When hard times hit, we desperately need God’s peace to anchors us.
Corrie ten Boom said, “If you look at the world, you’ll be distressed. If you look within, you’ll be depressed. If you look at God you’ll be at rest.”
When anxiety runs high, steep your heart and mind on God’s peace and these Bible verses on peace in hard times.
3 Truths About God’s Peace
1.God is the source of peace.
Peace is a person, not a circumstance. In fact, one of God’s names is Jehovah Shalom, the Lord is Peace.
Shalom is the Hebrew word for peace in the Old Testament and encompasses much more than our English word for peace. Shalom means wholeness, soundness, health, peace and also signifies well-being, spiritual prosperity and permanence.
We have peace not when there’s no difficulty but when God is present with us in the difficulty.
2. God intends peace for us.
Peace is God’s gift to us. It’s one of the blessings he lavishes on us as his children. In the Old Testament, God instructed the priests to continually speak this blessing over the children of Israel to remind them of his grace and peace:
The LORD bless you and keep you; the LORD make his face shine on you and be gracious to you; the LORD turn his face toward you and give you peace.”
3. God’s peace is greater than our difficulty
When the boat carrying Jesus and his apostles was caught in a dangerous storm, Jesus commanded the waves, “Peace be still!” and immediately the wind and water were calm.
Biblical peace doesn’t mean we’re promised a forever calm life. Jesus suffered incredibly and so did every apostle who followed him. God’s peace ensures he will either calm the storm or calm us through the storm.
God’s peace is a gift that supersedes pain and diffiulty. When circumstances are feeding fear and anxiety, we don’t have to stir up peace within ourselves. We simply enter it in God.
Bible Verses on Peace in Hard Times
Let these scriptures remind you of the peace we have in Christ or use these verses to help you pray the scripture truth over your life.
1. In peace I will lie down and sleep, for you alone, LORD, make me dwell in safety. Psalm 4:8
2. You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in you. Isaiah 26:3
3. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. John 14:27
4. I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world. John 16:33
5. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7
6. Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. Colossians 3:15
7. May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13
8. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. Against such things there is no law.… Galatians 5:22-23
9. Now may the Lord of peace himself give you peace at all times and in every way. The Lord be with all of you. 2 Thessalonians 3:16
10. For God is not a God of confusion but of peace. 1 Corinthians 14:33
11. For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Isaiah 9:6
12. Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace be removed,” says the LORD, who has compassion on you. Isaiah 54:10
13. The mind governed by the flesh is death, but the mind governed by the Spirit is life and peace. Romans 8:6
14. The LORD gives strength to his people; the LORD blesses his people with peace. Psalm 29:11
15. I will listen to what God the LORD says; he promises peace to his people, his faithful servants— but let them not turn to folly. Psalm 85:8
16. Abundant peace belongs to those who love Your instruction; nothing can make them stumble. Psalm 119:165
17. Blessed are those who find wisdom, those who gain understanding… her ways are pleasant ways, and all her paths are peace. Proverbs 3:13, 17
18. No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it. Hebrews 12:11
19. The God of peace be with you all. Amen. Romans 15:33