Some people collect glass bottles and travel souvenirs.
I collect great quotes by great people. They give me a window into that person’s life and inspire me to see things in a fresh way.
I’ve been collecting quotes on thankfulness by some of my favorite Christian preachers, authors and missionaries and today I’m sharing them to possibly inspire you as well.
On day 48 of this pandemic, it does a soul good to take stock of the vast goodness happening in the world and in our life.
Listen, it’s easy to complain. It’s easy to see what’s going wrong, what’s been interrupted, what is just plain hard and difficult and unwanted.
But giving thanks right where we are opens the door to joy where we are.
Thankfulness blankets our heart with peace and steadies us with contentedness.
Gratitude lets us see our cup is neither half-empty nor half-full, but more than enough.
I hope reading through this list of 31 of the best Christian quotes on thankfulness refreshes you. Consider copying a couple of your favorites and posting them on your mirror or slipping them in your Bible.
Best Christian Quotes on Thankfulness
1. Gratitude is an offering precious in the sight of God, and it is one that the poorest of us can make and be not poorer but richer for having made it. AW Tozer
2. An active faith can give thanks for a promise, though it be not as yet performed, knowing that God’s bonds are as good as ready money. Matthew Henry
3. It’s possible to be thankful wherever you find yourself. David Jeremiah
4.. True Worship: All that I am, responding to all that He is—in gratitude and praise. Adrian Rogers
5. Careful for nothing, prayerful for everything, thankful for anything. Dwight L. Moody
6. It’s one thing to be grateful. It’s another to give thanks. Gratitude is what you feel. Thanksgiving is what you do. Tim Keller
7. Yes, give thanks for “all things” for, as it has been well said, “Our disappointments are but His appointments.” A.W. Pink
8. This way of seeing our Father in everything makes life one long thanksgiving and gives a rest of heart, and, more than that, a gayety of spirit, that is unspeakable. Hannah Whitall Smith
9. One day is not long enough to thank God for all that He’s given you. His blessings come daily. Adrian Rogers
10. For one who has made thanksgiving the habit of his life, the morning prayer will be, “Lord, what will you give me today to offer back to you?” Elisabeth Elliot
11. I would maintain that thanks are the highest form of thought, and that gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder. G.K. Chesterton
12. Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God. Rick Warren.
13. “Gratitude” comes from the same word as freedom (gratis = free). Gratitude is the freeing expression of a free heart toward one who freely gave. Ravi Zacharias
14. No matter how choppy the seas become, a believer’s heart is buoyed by constant praise and gratefulness to the Lord. John McArthur
15. Spiritual joy is what you experience when you choose to give thanks to God no matter what happens – even when things go wrong. Jim George
16. There are times when the entire arrangement of our existence is disrupted and we long then for just one ordinary day – seeing our ordinary life as greatly desirable, even wonderful, in the light of the terrible disruption that has taken place. Difficulty opens our eyes to pleasures we had taken for granted. Elisabeth Elliot
17. What if we could get to the place where we thanked God for letting us face this battle because of the rich treasures we discovered on the battlefield? Lysa Terkeurst
18. Those do not glorify God as God who do not trace all their good things to God. Charles H. Spurgeon
19. Gratitude produces deep, abiding joy because we know that God is working in us, even through difficulties. Charles Stanley
20. You say, ‘If I had a little more, I should be very satisfied.’ You make a mistake. If you are not content with what you have, you would not be satisfied if it were doubled. Charles H. Spurgeon
21. Gratitude to God makes even a temporal blessing a taste of heaven. Unknown
22. God is in control, and therefore in everything I can give thanks – not because of the situation but because of the One who directs and rules over it. Kay Arthur
23. All around us is fuel for the fire of thanks if we will but notice. Jon Bloom
24. The grateful heart is like a magnet sweeping over the day, collecting reasons for gratitude. Max Lucado
25. Grumbling and gratitude are, for the child of God, in conflict. Be grateful and you won’t grumble. Grumble and you won’t be grateful. Billy Graham
26. The key to thankfulness is not to view God through the lens of our circumstances, but to view our circumstances through the lens of God’s love and sovereign purpose. Anne Graham Lotz
27. Gratitude gets us through the hard stuff. To reflect on your blessings is to rehearse God’s accomplishments. To rehearse God’s accomplishments is to discover his heart. To discover his heart is to discover not just good gifts but the Good Giver. Max Lucado
28. As a matter of fact, God isn’t asking you to be thankful. He’s asking you to give thanks. There’s a big difference. One response involves emotions, the other your choices, your decisions about a situation, your intent, your step of faith. Joni Eareckson Tada
29. God is always doing 10,000 things in your life, and you may be aware of three of them. John Piper
30. In ordinary life we hardly realize that we receive a great deal more than we give, and that it is only with gratitude that life becomes rich. Dietrich Bonhoeffer
31. Let’s wake in gratitude and walk in grace.
Want to go cultivate gratitude through God’s Word? See what the Bible has to say about thankfulness with a free 30-day Gratitude Bible Reading Plan.